What a week it has been. As many of you know I had jetBlue orientation last week and started my actual training this week. I can't miss any of my training and I can't miss any of my shifts for 90 days. This means if something happens to any of the kids I have to hope that Jim can take care of the situation. I can miss a day if I have a note from a doctor, but then it means that I must start all over with my training and that is something I am not willing to do. Anyway, the kids were home Monday and Tuesday for holiday. On Tuesday Christian, Alec, and Kirstyn went to a friends house for most of the day. While at their friends house the boys were snow boarding on a small hill that their friends dad had made. Christian had gone down the hill a few times and on his last trip down the hill he fell landed on his bottom and his left thumb jammed into some ice. Needless to say Christian's thumb swelled pretty badly and Jim was thinking that maybe it was just sprained. We decided to wait and see how his thumb would the next day. I came home from training on Wednesday and decided that his thumb didn't look very good. His thumb is bent and he can't straiten it at all, his other fingers have started swelling and they are all going numb. I took Christian to the after hours Kid's Care to have a doctor look it, well he got x-rays and of course he fractured his thumb. The worst thing about it is that he fractured his thumb along the growth plate and it runs the length of his thumb not the width. The doctor's office put a splint on his thumb and we were told to see Orthopedics's or Sports Medicine. The Orthopedic surgeon wasn't in the office on Thursday, so Sports Medicine looked at Christian's x-rays and chart and decided that he didn't need to have surgery. I wasn't sure how I felt about their decision so I left a message for the Ortho Surgeon to look at Christian's stuff and to call us. The Surgeon agreed with Spots Med and has asked that Christian come in next Thursday for them to see how he is progressing. I am not sure how I feel about him not having his hand casted, especially since just the right fall would make his fracture worse. The surgeon said that the worst thing that would happen to Christian in the long run is his thumb won't grow to be as long as his other. That might be a little weird having one thumb shorter than the other. I have to say I felt awful having had to go to work and not being there for Christian. I will get over it soon.
Getting back to jetBlue, there is much that I have to learn in the next few weeks. There have been two people leave this week and there will probably be a few more drop out of the class. There are a few older people that aren't getting the hang of the computer program and how to make a reservation, cancellation, changes, etc. It is proving a little easier than I thought, I might have problems though once we start doing live bookings. This class has some pretty lively people in it. Our trainers have said that we are the best of all the classes they have taught so far. Maybe they say that to everyone. For my training I have to drive into Salt Lake near Holiday (about 12 miles from Snowbird and 14 miles from Alta). Monday/Tuesday we got lots of snow and driving into work was somewhat of a challenge. I am carpooling with another woman that lives in Kaysville and she sort of coached me while I was driving. There were people slipping and sliding all over the roads and the closer we got to the training center the worse the snow was. I think I drove about 30-35 miles per hour the whole way. It was a very scary ride, but the California driver made it without incident.
The kids got their report cards this week and they are all doing really well. Christian has really improved in his language arts. Our move to Utah has been really good for Christian. He has made some friends and has done a lot of maturing since we have been in Kaysville. There are so many kids in our neighborhood and all of them around the same ages as our kids. There is always someone for the kids to play with. And, of course, Rayanne has straight A's again. She really works hard to earn her grades and a place on the honor role.
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment